In this tutorial we will go through the steps to send the individual notes 4-note chords to four different instruments in Bitwig.
Bitwig has a limit of 512 maximum MIDI input streams, where each channel and the “All Channels” option are counted. That puts the maximum number of input ports usable in Bitwig at 30, which is just shy of the 32 ports of Divisimate. This means to address 32 parts in Bitwig, we need to use Divisimate in Logic Mode.
1) On MacOS: open Divisimate before you open your DAW (the virtual midi ports are only available when Divisimate is running).
2) Go to Settings and activate Logic Mode
3) Manually activate 4 voices in the lower part of the GUI above the keyboard by clicking on ‘4’ and connect the 4 voices to the first 4 Out-Ports on the left by clicking in the matrix.
Alternatively you can load the factory preset “4vc – 4 parts” on the perform page.
3) Make sure that your MIDI input device is activated in the settings.
1) Open a new project in Bitwig.
2) Go to “Settings” -> “Controllers” and click on “+ Add Controller”.
Then choose “MIDI Keyboard” and click on “Add”.
3) On this newly added Controller choose “Divisimate Port 01” as input device.
04) Repeat this process, add another controller this time choose “Divisimate Port 02”.
5) Go back to your project in the “Arrange” view and add four new instrument tracks. Load the instruments of your choice on these tracks.
6) Select the first instrument track and in the input menu above the fader in the lower left choose “Divisimate Port 01 – Channel 1”.
Repeat this process and have each track receive from acscending channel of Divisimate Port 01.
After this the second track should have “Divisimate Port 01 – Channel 2”, the third one “Divisimate Port 01 – Channel 3” and the fourth “Divisimate Port 01 – Channel 4.
7) Now just record enable all four tracks and then you’re done!
You can play those four tracks together as an ensemble through Divisimate. The same method can be used to build larger templates using all the 32 Divisimate ports. The ports A-1 to A-16 represent the channels 1-16 of Divisimate Port 01 while the Ports B-1 to B-16 represent channel 1-16 of Divisimate Port 02.
Have fun orchestrating and composing!
If you want to go back to working the traditional way track-by-track, simply press ‘Bypass’ or the shortcut [b] in Divisimate. In Logic Mode Divisimate will then send all midi events and CCs through to Port 01 and 02 on Channel 1 without any delay or latency. This way you can just record enable any single track and play them without Divisimate.
Divisimate is available as a standalone software for Mac and PC. The remote control app “DivisiControl” is available for iOS (iPad and iPhone) and Android (Phone & Tablet)
subject to VAT depending on your country